Date: 2005-04-28 02:03 pm (UTC)

Date: 2005-04-28 02:05 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thewhitespider.livejournal.com
Dammit, where's our elite uber-geek-ness going these days?

But really....Tips on: Becoming a Dungeon Master!

It's not like an MBA, y'know.

Date: 2005-04-28 02:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elani.livejournal.com
Not exactly rocket science - and if we all knew them perfectly there wouldn't be those fun filled rules arguments we (Dan) likes to have.
:-)

Date: 2005-04-28 02:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thewhitespider.livejournal.com
What? We do, don't we?

Well, I do. But then I have no life and like to read the DM's Guide to while away the lonely hours.

Knowing the rules better than the rest of your group is okay if you're the GM. It's sort of sucky if you're a player.

Date: 2005-04-28 02:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wildwinter.livejournal.com
Somewhere I have a copy of this (and have had for about 16 years):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0399512934/mockerybird/ref%3Dnosim/103-9793694-0978242

Possibly the worst book in existence. Certainly a contender for the crown...

Date: 2005-04-28 02:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elani.livejournal.com
*speechless*

Date: 2005-04-28 02:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thepantsmaster.livejournal.com
Lol!
I read your comment and thought "He could almost be describing that Gary Gygax book I bought donkeys years ago..."

Almost fell off my chair laughing when I clicked on the link!

And yes... It's pretty bad.
If you didn't know better while reading it, you would think it was a joke.

Date: 2005-04-28 02:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elani.livejournal.com
*prod*

Interested in playing CoC?

Date: 2005-04-28 04:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thepantsmaster.livejournal.com
Wot me?

Nah, I'm alright thanks!

Thanks for asking though, nobody else ever does!

Date: 2005-04-28 09:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elani.livejournal.com
No worries :-D

Date: 2005-04-28 02:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thewhitespider.livejournal.com
What's it like? I'm curious.

My curiosity can be pretty bad, so I hope somebody tells me before I have to go and spend money on it.

Date: 2005-04-28 02:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wildwinter.livejournal.com
Essentially... it was written by a bloke who wrote a wargaming system. It's all about stats, numbers, 'maximizing your player party's advantages', making sure you've got the correct 'caller' to intermediate between the DM and the player group (anyone remember that from early D&D?) etc. etc.

It seems that Gary Gygax, although hailed as the inventor of roleplaying, doesn't actually know what roleplaying is _about_...

The really scary thing is that I'm sure my ideas about roleplaying have matured dramatically since I was *cough* years old when I first read the book. And I remember at _that_ point thinking that it was utter pants. Quite what I'd make of it now, I have no idea (and am possibly too scared to find out).

Date: 2005-04-28 03:00 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wildwinter.livejournal.com
He was far better in Futurama...

"Hi, I'm... " *rolls dice* "...pleased to meet you!"

Date: 2005-04-28 03:19 pm (UTC)

Date: 2005-04-28 04:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thepantsmaster.livejournal.com
Seen the episode of Dexters Lab where they are playing DnD?

Dexters character is called 'Gygax'

Date: 2005-04-28 03:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] miws.livejournal.com
you should read the review of this thing in Dragon
they advise buying one to give to the player who annoys you most!

actually it looks like a rules cyclopedia with all the useful stuff like fortress building etc taken out

could be funny though

Amelia (who hijacked her cats' diary to write this; be afraid, be very afraid)

Date: 2005-04-28 03:35 pm (UTC)

Profile

waywardh

January 2013

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 18th, 2026 04:09 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios